THE SPORTING SCENE

Varsity Soccer

By Michael S. Lottman

Height makes might in basketball these days, and with only one starter over 6 ft., 1 in., it was unfortunately apparent from the outset of the season that this was not to be a banner year for Harvard basketball. This was especially true since 6 ft., 8 in. center Griff McClellan was not the rebounder one so tall often is.

In contrast, Dartmouth and Princeton, who tied for the Ivy League title (Dartmouth won the NCAA berth Saturday by downing the Tigers, 69 to 68), both had solidly tall teams. The Indians were extremely strong up front with 6 ft., 7 in. Rudy LaRusso, 6 ft., 8 in. Dave Farnsworth, and 6 ft., 4 in. Gary Vandeweghe.

In the few games it held a height advantage, moreover, the varsity did not profit from it. Against New Hampshire, for example, the Crimson gathered in 87 rebounds, but nonetheless lost, 69 to 62. Only when Bob Bowditch and Bob Repetto, both 6 ft., 1 in., were effective underneath was the varsity able to achieve any degree of success, and this was contingent on the team's shooting from the floor.

Occasionally the Crimson's shotmaking was brilliant, as in the second Yale game (41 per cent). But more often it was just plain lousy, largely because no more than one-fourth of the varsity's attempts came from inside the foul circle. The team average on the year from the floor was a paltry 33.5 per cent, compared to the opponents' 38.3 per cent, a very significant difference.

Harrington Leads Team

No comment on this year's varsity would be complete without dwelling for a sentimental while on George Harrington, the petit 5 ft., 7 in. guard whose scoring, playmaking, and seemingly charismatic presence carried the Crimson through the season's darker moments.

Named to the All-Ivy second team (in what amounts to a victory for the Dartmouth publicity office), Harrington led the team with a 14.5 average, but hit for 17.8 points a game in Ivy play, making him fourth highest in the League. That Dartmouth's Chuck Kaufman was named to the first team over both him and Cornell's Lou Jordan, the League's leading scorer, is simply an inaccurate appraisal.

Harrington topped the League in field goals with 103, most of which came on his patented long set shots. More significant, however, was that whenever the Crimson found itself in a tense situation, it was Harrington whose cool head and sure hands kept varsity hopes alive.

Easily the most improved man on the squad was McClellan, who averaged 8.4 points and 10.5 rebounds a game. His 17 markers in the first Penn game led a varsity comeback, and his generally satisfactory performances throughout the year certainly pointed out his improvement.

Captain Bob Repetto, despite the notorious distinction of having fouled out of 12 of the 25 contests, ended up with a 9.8 average. His rebounding was consistently good, as was his defensive play. Had he not spent so much time on the bench because of personals, he could well have made an important difference in some of the closer games.

Bowditch Averages 10.3

No one who saw sophomore Bob Bowditch's last-second jump shot give the varsity a 67-66 victory over Cornell will forget that occasion, the high spot of a fine season for him. Second only to McClellan in rebounds, Bowditch also was the only player besides Harrington to average in double figures with a 10.3 mark.

Junior guard Mike Donohue was usually the fifth starter, although Dave Grayer took his place several times. A ferocious hustler, Donohue barely missed double figures for the year, as he netted a 9.8 average. His speed on fast breaks was often decisive, but his fiery spirit got the best of him on several occasions, and near-fights ensued.

Usually assigned to cover a player taller than himself, Grayer stood out on defense, although he scored well in only two contests. His best shot, a line-drive jumper from around the key, was not overly effective, but should be better next year.

Coach Floyd Wilson said that the team's 10-15 record was better than he expected, but expressed disappointment in some of the losses. In too many contests the varsity played its opponents to a standstill, but lost because of a short lapse midway through the second half.

The prospect for next year, however, is considerably brighter. Wilson believes that the outcome will hinge on the play of this year's freshmen, and on finding a replacement for Harrington to join Donohue in the backcourt. Either Bowditch, Grayer, or Bill Richling will probably fill this important position.

Danner to Return

Although the squad will lack a man of McClellan's height up front, the picture there looks very promising to Wilson. The best news is that 6 ft., 4 in. Bryant Danner, who had a fine year last season, will almost certainly return from a leave of absence to occupy once more the center spot.

Along with him and Bowditch, Wilson will probably call on one of three 6 ft., 4 in. freshmen, Gary Borchard, Marc Kolden, or Danner's brother Bill.