Council Picks Charities

Elects Frank Treasurer

By Mark H. Alcott

The Student Council last night overrode objections of the Combined Charities committee and voted to include World University Services among the list of "recommended" organizations in this year's fund drive. A move to eliminate the Crusade for Freedom from the list was defeated.

Lawrence P. Ekpebu '60, urged that WUS be included because "it is an organization which is close to university students and has a strong claim to our money and our support." Richard Crystal '62, co-chairman of the drive, argued that WUS had received virtually no students support last year and should remain on the "suggested" rather than the "recommended" list. Students may donate to any charity they choose.

Frank Elected Treasurer

In other activity last night, the Council elected Barnett Frank '61 to fill the position of treasurer vacated by Lewis B. Oliver '61. Frank defeated Abraham F. Lowenthal '61. Although the tally was not announced, it was learned that the margin of victory was only one vote.

The Council also passed, unanimously and with little debate, the revised report on NDEA, written by David Balabanian '60, James Perry '63, and Frank. The report emphasizes the need for Federal aid but objects strongly to the disclaimer affidavit and expressed milder disapproval of the loyalty oath.