Eisenhower Plans Record Tour Of Nine Countries Next Month; Britain to Ease Trade Barriers

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON, Nov. 4--President Eisenhower announced today that he will undertake an unprecedented 20,000-mile good will mission next month to nine nations on three continents. The pre-Christian tour will take Eisenhower to Europe, Asia and a corner of Africa.

No President ever has attempted anything like this 19-day expedition to the capitals of Italy, Turkey, Pakistan, Afghanistan, India, Iran, Greece, France and Morocco.

Eisenhower told a news conference he will be off Dec. 4. He excepts to fly back to Washington Dec. 22.

Import Quotas Dropped

LONDON, Nov. 4--Britain is opening the door to a glittering array of American goods. Almost all remaining quotas on imports from the dollar area and from Western Europe will be removed Nov. 9.

This means $300 to $500 million extra in American goods will be sold in Britain yearly, trade experts estimated.

Reginald Maulding, president of Britain's Board of Trade. announced today the abolition of quota controls as one of a series of actions dismantling Britain's wartime financial and commercial controls.

He said Britain is able to take the step because of its present favorable balance of trade and the strength of the pound sterling.

Space Capsule Tested

WASHINGTON, Nov. 4--A Mercury space capsule was hurled 35,000 feet high today by a Little Joe rocket, moving America open step nearer getting a man into space.

Within 45 minutes of the firing, the one-ton capsule was scooped from the Atlantic by the Navy salvage vessel preserver about five miles from the take-off point on Wallops Island, Va.

It was the second such test in perfecting the escape mechanism designed to save the astronauts' lives if they run into trouble during launchings.