Lowell Drama Group To Present 'Tempest' Outside in Courtyard

The Lowell House courtyard will provide the setting next fall for an outdoor production of Shakespeare's The Tempest, Alan Rinzler '60, director for the Lowell House Drama Group announced yesterday.

"We are going to utilize the whole courtyard," Rinzler emphasized. "Even the roof of the Master's house is a stage." Action will occur on all sides of the audience, seated in the courtyard's center.

Bell Tower to Be Ship's Helm

Lowell's lighted bell tower will serve for the helm of a ship in the opening scene, drawing the audience immediately into the atmosphere of the production. Island scenes, by contrast, will be played on the ground.

Shrubs and the other natural flora of the courtyard will be integrated into the action, with one character making his entrance by sliding down a tree. A raised platform which runs along two sides of the courtyard will provide an acting surface for more orthodox scenes.

Except for singers, dancers, and actresses, participation will be restricted to Lowell House residents, Rinzler said. Casting will begin this spring, and the cast will return early in the fall to present the show during the second week of the term.

Ford Foundation money will finance the production, Rinzler disclosed. A musical background has been planned for the production, partially drawn from Sibelius.