Wrestlers Sweep Crucial Matches, Beat Strong Springfield Team, 15-9

By Peter J. Rothenberg

Before a small but noisy crowd, the varsity wrestling team staged an impressive comeback last night, sweeping the last four matches to defeat a powerful Springfield squad, 15 to 9, at the I.A.B.

Capt. Joe Noble, King Holmes, Bob Foster and Ted Robbins all scored decision triumphs to send the varsity from a 9-3 deficit to victory. John Watkins, at 137, notched the other Crimson win.

Gymnasts Take the Lead

After Dave Skeels had lost to the Gymnasts' Bob Campana, 3-0, in the opening 123-lb. match, the visitors' Art Moses, one of the best 130-pounders in the East, swarmed all over the varsity's Carl Kludt, nearly pinning him at least three times, for a 12-0 decision. Watkins then put the Crimson in the scoring column with an easy 5-0 victory over Jerry Cook.

Springfield bounced back as the Crimson's Nick Estabrook, after leading for two periods, dropped a 7-4 decision to Frank Reuter. With the score now at 9-3, Noble started the varsity's upsurge against Gymnast captain Burt Burger. After a 4-4 first period and a scoreless second, Noble reversed his man and picked up a minute's time advantage for a 7-4 win.

Varsity Surges Ahead

Holmes, moving up from 147 to 167 to replace the injured Rick Sullivan, continued the Crimson pace, tying the match with a 4-3 decision over John Schaefer. The varsity wrestler scored two take-downs in the first two periods and held on the rest of the way for the win.

Then Foster, returning to action at 177 after missing the Penn match, put the varsity ahead, remaining unbeaten with a 5-4 win over Ralph DeMuccio.

In the concluding unlimited contest, Robbins wrapped up the victory with a 7-1 decision over Springfield's Duane Slottje.