Student Council Sponsors Report On Participation in New Theatre

Results Due in April

Three members of the Student Council committee studying drama at Harvard emphasized the necessity for student participation in the Loeb Drama Center yesterday.

The group's report, based on nine months of research, will be completed by April, according to Edward L. Croman '60, Council president.

Formal Agreement Sought

Radcliffe committee members Barbara Blanchard '60 and Elizabeth Stearns '59 are analyzing Annex opinion on questionnaires collected yesterday from the entire student body.

Harvard representatives in the study group are Daniel M. Fox '59 and Jan A. S. Hartman '61, co-chairmen, Benjamin R. Nielsen '60, and John L. Washburn, Jr. '59.

Voicing personal opinions, Miss Blanchard, Miss Stearns, and Washburn concurred in their desire for student representation in the administration of the new theatre.

"Some kind of formal student-faculty collaboration, on the same committee or on parallel committees ought to be worked out," claimed Washburn, former member of the executive board of the Harvard Dramatic Club.

"Both students and faculty must feel agreeable to all decisions that are made," Washburn continued. "Compromises must be true ones; not ones in which students reluctantly assent to faculty decisions."

Permanent professional directors from outside the academic world are desired by Miss Stearns, H.D.C. member.

Miss Blanchard, vice-president of the Harvard Opera Guild, felt, on the other hand, that "students must have a chance to learn by carrying on all operations themselves, even if they make mistakes." "The most exciting element of Harvard drama today is that students practically run it themselves," she said.