Class Consciousness

The Classgoer

"Tu., Th., S." in the catalogue has an ominous look about it, even with the parentheses around the S. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday are the days when sane people should sleep. The CRIMSON lists some of the more palatable items available in University classrooms today:

8 o'clock: If you really want to overdo the whole business, get up at this auroral hour and visit Professor Arthur Casagrande in Pierce 110. He'll tell you all about Seepage and Ground Water Flow in Engineering 262.

9 o'clock: Several old reliables dominate this more civilized time. William Y. Elliott provides a very gentle transition from slumber into wakefulness in New Lec, with his pontifications on political theory in Gov. 1b (formerly la).

Over in the Fogg, H.M. Jones talks about American Literature from 1890-1920 in English 170a, while Professor Hughes studies the intellectual history of 20th century Europe (Hist. 134) in Harvard 1. Freud, Pareto, and the existential denizens of "Les Deux Magots" will be discussed.

10 o'clock: Two visiting professors from the University of London are on competing channels this hour: Mr. Gombrich discoursing on style in art in Fine Arts 190 in Sever 32, and Mr. Darby roaming through England in Geography 101, the Historical Geography of England, in Sever 6. For those who are looking for something a little more intimate, there is Dr. Slater's Introduction to the Study of Small Groups, Soc Rel 121, in Emerson 327.

11 o'clock: Now, you should start to get hungry or sick or at least tired of the whole thing; go home now--you won't miss anything. There are a couple of Gov. courses, including one on legal theory (Gov. 108) by Mrs. Shklar. Those who studied Czarist Russia previously might find History 156, in Harvard 4, of some interest. Professor Billington discusses the modern period when czars aren't czars but commissars, and a serf is a privileged proletarian.

For those who wish to flee from metaphysics into naturalism, assistant professor Marshall Cohen will analyze Mill, Nietzsche, and Santayana (Phil. 139) in Emerson F.

12 o'clock: Professor Bloembergen gives Applied Physics 296 in Cruft 319; it's a refugee from the Gov. department called The Solid State. Then, of course, if you don't know why Tom Dooley should hang down his head, or what you get for loading sixteen tons, or what's on top of Old Smoky, English 195, Folksong and Balladry, in Emerson A, is just the thing. And if English thought from Burke to Mill happens to be the lone weak spot in your arsenal of knowledge, take History 143 with assistant professor Graubard in Harvard 2.

For those who survive to begin again on Wednesday, Nat. Sci. 120 given Wednesday and Friday afternoons, 2 to 3:30, is a fine selection for the scientist who has gotten through Physics 12a and b. Professor Holton delves into the backgrounds and theories of modern physics.