Professors Visit Russia, London; Four Absences Disrupt Classes

The absence of four professors from the University brought confusion and lecture changes yesterday, as an "old horse" returned and two courses reversed their order, with Reading Period coming before the first lecture.

Arthur M. Schlesinger, Sr., Francis Lee Higginson Professor of History, Emeritus, returned to lecture yesterday in History 169, his first College lecture since 1954. "It was like an old horse returning to pasture," the elder Schlesinger commented last night.

For the next two weeks, Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. '38, professor of History, will deliver a series of speeches at the University of London, and so his father stepped in to give the first lecture of the Spring.

Three Professors in Russia

In addition, three professors have gone to the University of Leningrad, as part of an exchange program between the two Universities. Wassily W. Leontief, Henry Lee Professor of Economics, Merle Fain-sod, professor of Government, and Richard E. Pipes, associate professor of History, will remain in Russia for the next two weeks and interim arrangements have been made for their courses.

Government 115 and History 155b will hold Reading Period during the next two weeks. Lectures will start in the middle of the month and will continue through the regular May Reading Period.

Students planning to attend the first meeting of Economics 112a today will find to professor present--only a notice saying that they will be expected to attend the lectures of Ec 136, which started yesterday.