Curry Expects Businesses To Occupy Part of MTA Lot

The University might devote half of the MTA yard property to commercial taxpaying construction if it acquires the area, City Manager John J. Curry '19, said yesterday.

Curry noted that the Harvard administration recognizes the need for a balance" of taxpaying and tax exempt use of the land, and estimated that this feeling will result in a "dollar for dollar" matching of educational and commercial use.

Thursday's announcement of the University's offer to buy the property did not specify what commercial projects it might build, but a spokesman said that apartment houses and parking facilities were being considered.

No Tax Pressure to Sell

At present the MTA pays no taxes on the large area, and Curry pointed out that as a result it has felt no pressure to sell land it no longer needs. He said that the public attention drawn to this situation by the University's announcement might influence the MTA trustees to give serious thought to selling the land.

Although it has intermittently discussed purchase of the property for several years, the University has never before revealed details of its negotiations, nor has it apparently ever before made such a firm offer. MTA officials will discuss the proposition at their meeting Monday and may announce a decision later that day.