Neuberger, Judd Debate Expanded Government Control Over Medicine

By Craig K. Comstock

In a spirited debate at the Medical School yesterday afternoon, liberal Senator Richard L. Neuberger and Congress-man Walter H. Judd, a "progressive-conservative," clashed over the "role of government in medicine"--and heard a blunt lecture from David D. Rutstein '30, professor of Preventive Medicine, on the specific needs of medical schools and hospitals.

Terming socialized medicine "not an issue today," Neuberger concentrated on the "need for greatly expanded Federal aid to medical research." The government's role in medicine, he said, is not "to infringe on the doctor-patient relationship, but to provide medical tools and knowledge"--"You can't go to the corner drugstore and buy cancer research," he pointed out.

Asked if he did not fear Federal encroachment, Neuberger replied, "I am not afraid of the role of my government." He said it is ridiculous for the U.S. yearly to spend "more on chewing gum than on cancer research."

Judd Defends Plans

Judd began his defense of "voluntary health plans" by observing that the U.S. medical system is "not perfect, only the best in the world." While pointing out that "only 80 per cent" of the public is receiving "adequate" medical care, he demanded that the medical profession, not the Federal government, take the lead in reaching the remaining 20 per cent.

Near the debate's end, moderator Rutstein asked his distinguished guests some blunt questions. "Senator Neuberger, all afternoon you have avoided the issue of socialized medicine, and talked only about government aid to research. Would you tell us, what is your stand?" Neuberger replied that "socialized medicine is no longer an issue, nor do I consider it desirable."