Benjamin Almost Sets 2 Mi. Record

Dyke Benjamin came close to breaking the Harvard record for the two-mile run with a time of 9 min., 25.4 sec. last Saturday in the Fourth Annual University of Connecticut Relays at Storrs, Conn. The present record for the race is 9min., 21.2 sec.

Pat Liles also came up with a very good performance, placing third in the broad jump with a leap of 22 ft., 5 in., his best so far this year. In addition, Liles ran the 300-yard event in 32.8 sec.

The freshman distance medley relay team won their event easily, with a team composed of Captain Harry Rich, Don Kirkland, Bob Knapp, and Mark Mullin. The two-mile relay team placed second to Holy Cross with a time of 8 min., 2 sec., with Dave Brahms registering a fast 1 min., 56 sec.

The only unfortunate part of the day for the Crimson came when Steve Cohen, a shot-putter, tripped and fell 15 yards before the passing zone, while running the 220-yard leg of the sprint medley relay.

In another development, the Friends of Harvard Track have given the team money to practice in Florida during spring vation. Thirty-four members of the squad and three coaches will fly down to Gainesville, Fla., this Saturday to practice with the University of Florida.