Track Varsity to Go South

Thank to a generous gift from the Friends of Harvard Track, the varsity track squad will train for a week at the University of Florida in Gainesville. Thirty-five men, including three coaches, will fly to Florida Saturday morning and return on Sunday, April 5.

Last spring a private donation enabled eight runners who made up the mile and two-mile relay teams to practice in the South during spring vacation, but this year's trip marks the first time that a full complement of track men has escaped the Cambridge weather.

The coaches have made it clear that the journey will be anything but a pleasure ride for the squad. There will be two stiff workouts every day, and the team will stay in the college dormitories. Informal competition and intrasquad meets will keep the team at a fine competitive edge.

All of the 32 men chosen to travel to Florida won the right to go by showing ability and eagerness to learn.

On April 18, the varsity will face Army in the first meet of the outdoor season. Both the Crimson and the Cadets will be essentially the same teams that met this winter, when Army won, 64 1/3 to 44 2/3.