Meyerson Announces Members Of Urban Center Faculty Group

Widely Diverse Fields Represented

By Michael Churchill

The wide inter-disciplinary scope of the new Harvard-M.I.T. Center for Urban Studies was outlined yesterday by Martin Meyerson, Director of the new Center, in announcing the composition of a joint Faculty Committee to set policy.

The relation of technological innovation to the metropolitan region, comparative analysis, both historical and contemporary of cities, and the application of research strategies to transportation problems are all areas of interest to the Center, according to Meyerson, as well as the question of methods of public and private control over urban change, problems of urbanization in developing countries, and investigations of social values and the community.

Members of the Faculty Committee cover a broad variety of disciplines. Chairman of the policy-setting group is Lloyd Rodwin, associate professor of City and members include: John M. Gaus, professor of Government; Reginald R. Isaacs, Charles Dyer Norton Professor of Regional Planning; John C. Synder, Dean of the Faculty of Public Health; Samuel A. Stouffer, professor of Sociology; and Meyerson.

One of the Center's main objects will be to encourage young persons in the field. A major reason for the joint nature of the Center is that the amount of talent currently available in the field is not sufficient to support two such centers, according to Dean Bundy.