Russia Will Give East Germany Control Over Accesses to Berlin; Eisenhower May Appoint Herter

By The ASSOCIATED Press

LEIPZIG, East Germany, March 4--Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev said today that the Soviet Union may sign a separate peace treaty with East Germany--and certainly will give it control over Western routes to Berlin.

He appeared here only 24 hours after he wound up what a British-Soviet communique called useful exchanges with British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan in Moscow.

Khrushchev called again for withdrawal of U.S., British and French garrisons from West Berlin. He accused the West of rejecting his proposals on Germany without suggesting any alternatives "that a normal human intelligence can agree to."

President Praises Herter

WASHINGTON, March 4--President Eisenhower dropped a strong hint today that, if John Foster Dulles resigns, Christian A. Herter will be named secretary of state.

The President appeared to go out of his way at his news conference to give Herter a boost. Herter, the acting secretary, already has said he would take the job if asked.

While Eisenhower's comments were vague, officials said the President had decided it was time to strengthen Herter's hand in this critical period.

Eisenhower did not say whether he expects Dulles to recover sufficiently from cancer to return to duty.

Pioneer IV Passes Moon

WASHINGTON, March 4--America's Pioneer IV shot past the moon late today and headed for a solar orbit scientists say will last as long as the universe does.

The pass came at 5:24 p.m. EST. Scientists calculated the 13-pound cone came within 37,000 mles of the moon. At the time, government scientists said, the gold-plated vehicle was 236,000 miles from earth.

For all practical purposes Pioneer already is in orbit around the sun--the pull of solar gravity on the space probe now is greater than that of the earth's.