'Cliffe Celebrates 80th Birthday; Fund Drive Approaches $5 Million

News of Gift Begins Boston Area Effort

By Jean J. Darling

The Radcliffe Development Fund has reached a total of $4,804,000, National Chairman Robert I. Hunneman '28, announced yesterday at the climax of "Radcliffe Panorama," an all-day program celebrating Radcliffe's 80th birthday. The gift of $657,133 from the estate of Mrs. Georgine Holmes Thomas means the Fund is now a year ahead of its ten-year schedule to raise $10 million.

Hunneman made the progress announcement to more than 100 alumnae, friends of the college, and parents gathered at a ceremonial dinner in Memorial Hall. The dinner, part of the Panorama, also kicked off the greater Boston area's general campaign for the Fund.

After testimonials to key figures in the campaign and in the production of the birthday program, President Pusey, a guest of honor, testified that Radcliffe is a "real part of the intellectual life and student body at Harvard."

Included in the day's activities were tours of the newer dormitories, visits to selected classes, and discussions led by members of the faculty. Planned to show visitors "that the only proved asset of a university is its faculty," according to President Jordan, the sessions included subjects ranging from a movie on the African bushmen to "The Hero in the Modern Novel."

Professor H. Stuart Hughes, Henry A. Murray, Jerome S. Bruner and Clyde K. M. Kluckhohn studied "Identity and Commitment in Today's America" at Paine Hall where Kluckhohn noted that today's younger generation is undergoing the first real change in values "since the eighteenth century."

Murray analyzed the motives of "beatniks" and pointed out that their attitudes repudiated "the dominant American values." His conclusions that the beatniks were going "away from the search for identify" were in strong contrast to Hughes' comments on the increasing interest in modern history which shows the young's anxiety to establish a connection between themselves and the past.

The problem of economic aid to underdeveloped countries was the subject of the informal discussion led by Sir Hamilton A. R. Gibb, professors Edward S. Mason, George E. Kirk, and Barbara Ward, Lady Jackson. The panel of economists agreed that the obstacle of political influence and intrigue is one of the greatest impediments to effective economic development.