Rival Nixon Clubs Join After Three-Hour Talks

Charges and counter-charges flew last night as each of two rival groups claimed the right to become the official Harvard Students for Nixon Club. After three hours of intense negotiations, four members from each group and one "independent" were selected for the provisional slate of officers in an evenly-split compromise agreement.

A month ago several members of the Young Republican Club and the Eisenhower Club drew up a constitution for a Nixon organization. This group decided not to present itself to the Student Council at the time, because they thought it was "premature to start campaigning for 1960."

The conflict began Tuesday night when a second Nixon group, which had "only an inkling that there might be another club," was organized. The new group was formed because "we wanted to take the initiative and get the ball rolling in view of the newly-organized Harvard Students for Rockefeller Club," according to W. Stuart Parsons '62, provisional president.

Clubs Unite

Now in "complete unity," the clubs have selected a provisional board of officers, and will submit a charter to the Student Council at its meeting Monday night, Frank B. Baldwin, provisional President of the compromise organization, said last night.

The Harvard Students for Nixon group plans to bring Vice-President Nixon to the University next fall and hopes to spearhead a national Students-for-Nixon movement. The Parsons faction has been in close correspondence with Jerry A. Coons, president of the Trojan Young Republican Club of the University of Southern California, about sale of Nixon buttons for campaign funds.