School of Design Will Hold Panels On City Planning

Forty-five prominent architects and urban designers and developers will discuss recent examples of city planning and redevelopment at the third annual Invitational Conference on Urban Design April 24 and 25. The meeting will be sponsored by the Graduate School of Design and its alumni.

For the first time this year, conference members will consider specific case studies. Six panels each will analyze a city project on Friday and will report their findings to Saturday's general meeting for discussion by students, faculty members, and alumni of the GSD.

Panels Analyze Projects

The panels will analyze the following projects: Gratoit in Detroit, Michigan; Vallingby, Sweden; Don Mills in Toronto, Canada; Washington Square in Philadelphia, Penna.; Mill Creek in St. Louis, Mo.; and Lake Meadows in Chicago, III.

In addition to persons interested in the city, most panels will include the project's planner, a representative of the financing agency, and a GSD faculty member. Representatives of two rival plans will participate in the Washington Square discussion.

Among those participating in the panels will be Jose Luis Sert, dean of the Faculty of Design and chairman of the conference.