Harris Will Visit U.S. Universities For Ford Study

To complete his study on the economics of higher education, Seymour E. Harris '20, Lucius N. Littauer professor of Political Economy, will travel to 60 American colleges next year. He plans to give advice on financial problems.

Harris is engaged in this study under a Ford Foundation grant. On the basis of his visits this year to more than 60 Eastern schools, mostly private, he is finishing the first volume of the study.

Also in connection with his study, Harris will next month send questionnaires to 400 students selected at random, asking for opinions on student loans and other methods of financing college education. He has already mailed questionnaires to 350 college presidents and 300 economists. In addition to this work, Harris is now conducting a seminar for college presidents on the economics of higher education.

Elaborating on his recent stand for higher tuition, Harris yesterday claimed that state university fees, which average about $150 a year, are needlessly low. "In many of these schools," he said, "students drive their own cars, while the college suffers from crowded facilities."

Harris further suggested that colleges should seek more support from the federal government, which he claims can afford to spend at least $500 million annually on higher education.