LINING THEM UP

Varsity Track

By Michael S. Lottman

Princeton, the East's only major college football team which still is undefeated, doesn't have a single star player but manages to come up with a new star nearly every week.

And the men mainly responsible for this situation are the ones who seldom see their names in the headlines--a blocking quarterback and a couple of strong linemen.

This was supposed to be a rebuilding year for Princeton, which won the unofficial Ivy League title last fall. The Tigers lost all but one of last year's starting backfield, but kept the nucleus of a line that is strong by Ivy standards.

With those remains of a team, Princeton now has won six straight games and is looking ahead to a showdown battle with Yale, Nov. 17, for the first formal Ivy title.

Temporary Stardom

In those six games these names have emerged to temporary stardom: Fred Tiley and Hewes Agnew, a pair of fullbacks whose prospects were uncertain last September; Tom Morris and Jim Mottley, tailbacks; and Bill Danforth and Ron Nelson, wingbacks.

Tiley, 215-pound sophomore, showed his ability to perform the exacting fullback duties in Coach Charlie Caldwell's complicated single wing pattern in the opening game against Colgate. Against Columbia, Morris, just a tall, awkward sub for the brilliant Royce Flippin last year, took over and scored three touchdowns. A week later Mottley, whose name isn't in the pre-season brochure, sparked the attack.

Decoys and Reverses

Wingbacks Danforth, sub for Hewes Agnew's brother Bill last season, and Nelson, a senior with an undistinguished record before this year, haven't had any big scoring days. Their job is to catch passes, serve as decoys and occasionally run a reverse to keep the defense on its toes.