Lowell House Gives Special Dinners For Students, Professors

A series of small, informal dinners has been giving Lowell House students an opportunity to talk with some of the University's best-known faculty members.

Usually two professors and no more than 14 undergraduates attend the gatherings, which have been held twice weekly for several weeks. No special dinners are prepared, but students and guests meet before dinner for sherry provided from the House's Ford Foundation funds by Elliott Perkins '23, Master of Lowell House.

With the full backing of Perkins, arrangements for the series have been made by Richard W. Nathan '60 and other members of the House Committee. The series will be continued in the fall and may include guests from outside the Harvard community as well as Faculty members.

Students interested in attending an announced dinner sign on a first-come-first-served basis until the quota of 14 is filled. After sherry and dinner other interested students may join the group.

Though so far the pairs of Faculty guests have come from the same departments, Nathan says the Committee plans to invite members of different departments to attend together--a scientist and a philosopher, for example.

Among Faculty members who have attended the dinners are Dean Bundy and Professors John M. Bullitt, Charles R. Cherington, I. Bernard Cohen, Raphael Demos, Oscar Handlin, Clyde K. M. Kluckhohn, Harry T. Levin, Henry A. Murray, Leonard K. Nash, David Riesman, and Samuel A. Stouffer.