Robbins, Farnham, Fruchtbaum, Siedentop Win Bowdoin Awards

English Prizes Announced

David D. Robbins '59 has won first place in the Bowdoin Prizes for Undergraduates (English), with an essay entitled "Mysticism and the Poet's Development in Four Quartets," Dean Bundy's office announced yesterday.

"William Wordsworth and the Loss of Joy," by Donald T. Wesling '60, took second prize, and Jonathan F. Beecher '58 placed third with his essay, "Saint-Simon's Second Circumspection: His Legacy to 1848." The awards are $600, $400, and $150, respectively.

In the graduate Bowdoin prizes, first place in the Humanities went to Anthony E. Farnham 3G for a study entiled "The Concept of 'Feyned Love' in Chaucer's Troilus and Criseyde." Larry A. Sieden-top 2G won first prize in Social Sciences with his "Jean Bodin, Sovereignty, and the State: An Essay in Iconoclasm." "The Atomic Bomb and the Surrender of Japan: The Impact of Science on Politics," by Harold Fruchtbaum 1G, took first place in the Natural Sciences division.

Honorable mention in the three divisions were awarded to Walter J. Kaiser 3G, for "The Prologue to Tiers Livre," to Gabriel Kolko 4G, for "A Critique of Max Weber's Philosophy of History," and to Edmond S. Miksch 1G, for his essay, "A Finite, Boundless, Flat Universe."