Herter Calls On Soviet Leaders For 'Businesslike Negotiations'; Steel Union, Producers Quarrel

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON--Secretary of State Christian A. Herter called on the Soviets Thursday night for "businesslike negotiations and not a propaganda exercise" at the Big Four foreign ministers meeting opening in Geneva Monday.

In a report carried to the nation by radio and television, Herter pledged the West will stand firm in upholding Allied rights and responsibilities in Berlin.

He also promised the West would seek meaningful agreements "honestly and in good faith to seek some advance, even if small, toward a just peace."

"The eyes of the world are bound to be focused on a meeting of the heads of government. It would be unfair to all peoples to risk shattering their hopes and expectations by engaging in summit talks under conditions likely to produce failure."

Steel Industry, Union Trade Charges

NEW YORK--The United Steelworkers Union and steel industry exchanged demands Thursday for government investigation of each other, then agreed they'd both better quit airing their differences in public.

The union fired off demands to the Justice Department and National Labor Relations Board for probes of possible antitrust law and labor law violations on the part of the industry.

Steel producers came back with a suggestion that if anything needs federal investigation it is "the concentration of power in the union which is what gives rise to the problems of industry self-protection."

Bribes Uncovered in Newspaper Strike

WASHINGTON--Two labor union officials, accused of exacting payments from New York area newspaper and printing firms, pleaded the Fifth Amendment Thursday as Senate investigators tried unsuccessfully to make them talk.

Harold Gross, president of a Teamsters Local in Miami and a convicted extortionist, kept silent on testimony of other witnesses that he charged thousands of dollars to assure labor peace at a New Jersey commercial printing firm which turns out,