Med. Library Nears Goals

Building Site May Soon Be Available

The long-awaited Harvard Medical School library, recently received an encouraging push towards realization when a large plot of land in the vicinity of the Medical School became tentatively available for purchase.

It is expected that the Martin Public School site at Huntington Avenue and Worthington Street will be voted May 18 into the status of "no longer needed for schooling purposes" by the Boston School Committee.

If the land becomes available at that time, the trustees of the Harvard Medical Center will probably vote to purchase the land at its current appraised value of $100,000. The Harvard Medical Center is comprised of the Medical and the seven "teaching" hospitals which are affiliated with it through University appointments.

The projected medical library will act as the nucleus of the Center, upon its completion, and will probably be the most modern medical library in America. A recent gift of $3.5 million by Miss Sandra Countway, plus other substantial donations to the Medical School Fund Drive, have made it possible for the University to consider immediate action on the estimated $7.5 million library project.

The chances of Boston's selling the land to Harvard seem bright at present, since most of the City officials involved feel that such a library would further enhance Boston's reputation for being the foremost medical center in the world.