Radcliffe

Ever since they gave women the right to vote back in the United States' dark ages, the so-called weaker sex has clamored for more and better education as one of the necessities of the New American Woman. Radcliffe College stands today as one of the many monuments to the success which has attended her quest.

The 'Cliffe began modestly enough, as is always the case in such mammoth projects, but it wasn't long before she began to chip steadily away at the male world several hundred yards down Garden Street. The extent of the damage, however, did not become apparent until just after the war, when the Harvard Faculty of Arts and Sciences became the Radcliffe faculty. Of course, cries of astonishment were heard all around, but it was too late; Harvard, oldest and proudest bastion of male education, had fallen.

"Co-education," sneered Yale. "Good enough for them," was Princeton's considered opinion. And so it went. But one cloying doubt remained at Radcliffe: the 'Cliffe had not yet completely infiltrated Harvard's ranks.

Why not become part of Harvard University? Once an actual part of the University, Radcliffe would, of course, have little trouble taking over the whole show. So why not indeed?

"First invite the Harvard Trustees out to look the place over; then play a little coy, a little hard to get (consolidation); but leave the door open. It's still too early to hope for Radvard or Harcliffe University, and Radcliffe University is a long ways in the future. But we can wait."

But certainly some sort of merger of Radcliffe College into the structure of Harvard University would be a good thing. Administrative burdens should be combined together when possible, and the Radcliffe-Harvard axis is just right for such a combination which in any case, at this late date, must be regarded as inevitable; and when it comes it'll serve Harvard right.