New Nations Debated

A clear movement toward one-party rule and "guided democracy" has become evident in the underdeveloped countries, three University professors agreed yesterday in a forum on New Nations.

"Military dictatorships are more and more likely to take over in those countries to fill political vacuums," Rupert Emerson, professor of Government, told alumni assembled in Fogg Museum. Along with Robert Bowie, director of the Center for International Studies, and Edward S. Mason, George F. Baker Professor of Economics, Emerson noted the difficulties faced by the 750 million people in nations freed from colonialism since World War II.

Mason, who works with the governments of Pakistan and Iran in promoting development projects, commented that political and social changes must accompany economic development. Backwardness either in social structure or governmental organization greatly hamper chances for improvement in income.

"We can't shut our eyes and pass by on the other side of the street," Bowie stated, since the well-being of these new nations is tied closely with American security.

Four obstacles hamper attainment of goals. The professors cited "grinding" poverty, illiteracy, a shortage of trained people, and rapid population growth as limitations to the development of these nations.