Recommended . . .

MOVIES

The Nun's Story (at the Metropolitan). This two-and-a-half hour film is an informative, comprehensive, unglamorized version of Katherine Hulme's novel about a Belgian girl's glorious failure in attempting to be a worthy nun. It should appeal to non-Catholics and non-believers as well as Catholics. The picture has a fine screenplay by Robert Anderson '39, firm direction by Fred Zinnemann, and beautiful color photography. Audrey Hepburn in the title role give a flawless performance; and more than able assistance is provided by Mildred Dunnock, Dame Edith Evans, Dame Peggy Ashcroft, Peter Finch, and others.

Room at the Top (at the Kenmore). Perhaps the best British film since Alec Guinness and Jack Hawkins teamed up in The Prisoner, this is a deeply penetrating and significant study of English sex and society, with some of the frankest and most adult dialogue ever to come across the screen. As an aging mistress, Simone Signoret gives a devastating performance that justifiably won the Cannes Festival's award for the "best performance by an actress." Named "best picture of the year, 1959" by the British Film Academy.

Blackboard Jungle (at the Brattle, today and tomorrow only). This is the juvenile delinquency classic that helped Sidney Poitier and Glenn Ford to stardom.

Marty (at the Brattle, Wednesday and Thursday). This is the Oscar-winner about just plain folks, with Ernest Borgnine in the starring role, and Paddy Chayevsky responsible for the screenplay. The picture has had many, many imitations, but none has succeeded in matching the original.

Paths of Glory (at the Brattle, Friday and Saturday). The Saturday Review last year acclaimed this as "the best picture of the year." It is a tough, uncompromising, hard-hitting film about the French army during World War I. Several countries considered it too strong for their audiences and refused to allow it to be shown. In it, Kirk Douglas shows for once that he can act.

MUSIC

Esplanade Concerts. Arthur Fieldler conducts members of the Boston Symphony Orchestra in free open-air concerts every evening at 8:30 (except July 4) until July 10 in the Hatch Memorial Shell on the Charles River Esplanade. Take blanket and subway to Charles Station.