Summer School Rolls Show Gain of 165 Over Last Year

Preliminary Summer School figures indicate that the total enrollment for this session will be approximately 3,665, an increase of about 165 since last year. The percentage of women also increased, from a previous high of 43 per cent, to 47 per cent.

The Harvard-Radcliffe segment of the Summer School showed the larger gain, and there was a big gain in those attending the School of Education.

Although each of the states was represented last year, three are missing this summer, and Alaska and Hawaii have students attending. After a surprising jump last year, the number of Massachusetts residents attending the school dropped slightly. The Middle Atlantic states--New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania--increased their representation.

The number of foreign students again was raised, to 305, or 8 per cent of the total enrollment, a high for recent years.

The Summer School office has also disclosed which courses are most popular this year. The following courses have enrollments of over 100: Fine Arts S-19e, Five Epochs of Art History: Selected Works of Ancient, Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, and Modern Art; History S-134b, Intellectual History of Europe Since 1815; English S-164, Aspects of the Impressionistic Novel; Government S-185, The United States in World Politics; Chem S-20, Organic Chemistry; History S-155c, Russian Thought from Ivan the Terrible to Pasternak; Psychology S-1.