Finletter Censures Foreign Policy

West Must Not Shrink in Military Power, World Peace, Complete Disarmament Sought

By Abraham F. Lowenthal

"Change is the order of the day, and change of policy is indispensable" was the conclusion of a thorough survey of U.S. foreign policy by Thomas K. Finletter, former Secretary of the Air Force, in an address at the Harvard Law School on July 23.

Speaking to some 325 lawyers assembled for a two-week program of instruction. Finletter described himself as "very, very disturbed about the changing scene in foreign affairs," and offered a general program to combat the "shrinkage of the West in population, industrial activity, and military power relative to the Communist nations."

Finletter briefly described the background of the present American position and then speculated as to the "uncertainties of the next decade for which our foreign policy must prepare." He emphasized the crucial importance of winning Afro-Asian respect, promoting a split between Russia and China, preventing Russo-Chinese military superiority, strengthening NATO by giving it additional political and military functions, achieving peace in the Near East, and controlling the weapons of the future.

His specific program, designed to meet the challenges of the next decade, includes continued military buildup regardless of cost, American support for Afro-Asian independence even in Algeria, adoption of a realistic China policy "in our own national interest," and American initiative in disarmament negotiations. As a final proposal, Finletter urged a complete disarmament plan "safeguarded at all stages."