Eleven Defeats Williams

By Claude E. Welch jr.

Charlie Ravenel showed Saturday why he is the best quarterback in the Ivy League. The 160-pound speedster led the varsity to an expected 38-12 victory in an unofficial scrimmage with Williams College Saturday, first outside encounter for the Crimson. From the six-minute mark of the first period, the varsity dominated play and completely outclassed the Williams eleven.

Against the Williams tight defensive formation, nearly an eight-man line, Ravenel exercised the quarterback option often, opening up the defense for quick slash or dive plays. He ran effectively, scoring three of the Crimson's five touchdowns on 20, 25, and 30 yard rollout runs around end. And to cap off his virtuoso performance, Ravenel showed flashes of an improved passing technique that will make him an even greater threat this fall.

The Purple lost practically all of its undefeated team last year through graduation. What little was left provided little competition for the varsity, except for the opening minutes of each half. Williams took 12 plays to march 70 yards for a touchdown, with most of the gains coming on three long passes. The Crimson pass defense showed many of the weaknesses that plagued it last season, and southpaw quarterback John Whitney tossed frequently and accurately into uncovered areas.

Sophomores Impressive

The varsity easily stopped the Williams running attack. Three sophomores, center Tony Watters, guard Bill Swinford, and fullback Chuck Reed, tackled hard and often. Reed also intercepted an astray Williams pass and ran effectively on offense. Big Chet Boulris showed bursts of power and speed that would carry him five yards with two tacklers hanging on grimly; he scored the Crimson's third touchdown on a dive through left tackle midway through the second period.

Saturday's contest against the University of Massachusetts should give the substitute units an opportunity to gain experience. Though the UMass eleven lacks experience, it rallied for a surprising win over Maine Saturday. When the two teams met last, in 1955, the Crimson swamped the state team, 60 to 6.