Slichter Dies Sunday at 67

Summer H. Slichter, Lamont University Professor, died Sunday night at 67 in Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, following a five-month illness.

Famous as an authority on business and labor relations, he authored the Slichter Law, which empowers the Governor of Massachusetts to step into a strike where the health and welfare of a community are endangered.

Seymour E. Harris '20, Lucius N. Litauer Professor of Political Economy, last night called Professor Slichter "one of the really top economists in the world and probably the leading economist on labor problems in this country." Harris said Slichter was "probably listened to by the average American more than any other living economist."

A 1913 graduate of the University of Wisconsin, Slichter later received his doctorate from the University of Chicago.

Memorial services will be held Wednesday at 3 p.m. in Memorial Church, the Rev. John H. Leamon of the Cambridge Congregational Church officiating at the ceremonies.

Survivors include his wife, Ada P. Slichter; two sons, William P. Slichter, of Chatham, a chemist, and Charles F. Slichter, a professor at the University of Illinois in Champaign; and three brothers, Louis B. Slichter of Pasadena, Calif., Allen M. Slichter and Donald E. Slichter, both of Milwaukee, Wis.