Varsity to Tie for Second As Penn Takes Ivy Title

By John R. Adler

The Ivy will twine tightly this fall--at least the Ivy League football standings. For the first time since the eight-team conference was organized three years ago--and Yale took the title with an 7-1 record--a Harvard team has the potential to defeat any of its opponents, perhaps all of them. The four teams that have the best chance for the title are the Crimson, Penn, Princeton, and Dartmouth. Here is the outlook:

PENNSYLVANIA: The Quakers finished fourth last season, but showed the Crimson an example of their deadly multiple offense, run by Larry Purdy with help from Dave Coffin, perhaps the fastest man in the League, Fred Doelling and Ed Goodwin. The return of that entire backfield, along with nine of last year's starting eleven, gives coach Steve Sebo reason to hope for an Ivy League title. Other outstanding returnees among 22 of 32 lettermen are ends Barney Berlinger, and Jon Greenawalt, center Ron Champion and halfback Jack Hanlon.

Prediction: First place, 7-0 record.

HARVARD: In spite of the injuries sustained Saturday, the Crimson is deep enough to do battle for a full season. More than any other team, the varsity will grow stronger as the talented sophomore hoard gains experience. The momentum built up in two non-Ivy games will carry through Cornell and Columbia, and an upset over Dartmouth--which will come off a tough B.C. game as it came off Holy Cross last year--may get to be the rule.

Prediction: Tie for second place, 5-2 record, losses to Penn and Princeton.

PRINCETON: Although the Tigers have one of the top backfields in sophomore Phil Carlin, Mike Ippolito, Mike Iseman and any of three speedy tailbacks--Don Sachs, Hugh Scott and Jack Sullivan--coach Dick Colman is faced with problems on the interior line positions. Princeton will have the advantage of five League games at home.

Prediction: Tie for second place, 5-2 record, losses to Penn and Dartmouth.

DARTMOUTH: A title winenr can never be written off for the following season, but coach Bob Blackman finds himself with only half his lettermen returning. He faces a major problem replacing tackle and captain Al Krutsch, and hard-running backs Jim Burke and Brian Hepburn, though quarterback Bill Gundy and halfback Jake Crouthamel return. The Indians will get scalped on the line.

Prediction: Tie for second place, 5-2 record, losses to Penn and Harvard.

CORNELL: The Big Red nearly won the Ivy title last season, but Coach Lefty James simply will not be able to replace Tom Skypeck. Only Phil Taylor remains from last year's backfield, and the line lacks both weight and depth.

Prediction: Fifth place, 3-4 record, wins over Yale, Columbia and Brown.

YALE: The Elis are due to move up, if only because they have nowhere else to go. Coach Jordan Oliver will have most of last year's team back, which may or may not be a blessing. The quarterback problem seems to be working itself out, with Bill Leckonby, Tom Singleton and Art LaVallie the top candidates.

Prediction: Sixth place, 2-5 record, wins over Brown and Columbia.

COLUMBIA: The Lions still need a quarterback--any quarterback. Coach Buff Donelli has already matched last years' victory total, but another triumph may be a long time in the making. Harvey Brookins is the best backfield hold-over, and the maturing of last year's freshman team--the best in ten years--may provide help.

Prediction: Seventh place, 1-6 record, victory over Brown.

BROWN: The Bruins have lost more of their 1958 football machine than any of the other teams--21 of 30 lettermen, a coach, and an offense. Hopes rest mainly on the shoulders of fullback Paul Choquette, second best rusher in the Ivy League last year. Coach John McLaughry's new "side-saddle T" faces some hard ridin'.

Prediction: Eighth place, 0-7 record.