Veritas Foundation Given $10,000 For Probe of Economics Teaching

Pamphlet Raises Funds

By Michael Churchill

The Veritas Foundation has raised "around $10,000" towards its goal of $25,000 in order to investigate the teaching of Economics at Harvard, according to Archibald B. Roosevelt '17.

The money has come in response to a pamphlet circulated recently by the Foundation, "Keynesism-Marxism at Harvard" which charges that "the teaching of Economics has been abandoned at Harvard, and a political-Marxian-Keynesian-socialist propaganda has been substituted."

A major portion of the pamphlet is devoted to attacking Keynesian theory as un-American and totalitarian. "Even a cursory analysis reveals that Keynesism is not an economic science, but is a political credo which in its main essentials coincides with the communist teachings of Karl Marx." It specifically contends that "Keynesians attack the principle of individual thrift and personal savings" in order to undermine American initiative and freedom.

"The fountain-head of Keynesian socialism in America has been, and still is, Harvard University," the Foundation claims, adding that its center within the University lies in the Economics Department.

"Professor Seymour E. Harris is probably the leading propagandist of Keynesism in the United States today. He has been backed by such well known economists as J.K. Galbraith, Alvin H. Hansen and Paul M. Sweezy. Other supporters of Keynesism are some remnants of the now defunct Socialist Party and a larger number of miscellaneous 'left-wingers' of the ADA stripe, including certain known partisans of the Soviet system," the pamphlet declares.

Harris and Galbraith were the only active Harvard professors mentioned, Roosevelt said, because of space limitations in the four page article.

Roosevelt refused to disclose the names of the persons who prepared the preliminary report, saying that due to the battle between Keynesians and anti-Keynesians it would jeopardize the jobs of the two outside economists who contributed to its preparation.

The Foundation circular notes "Keynesian ideas enjoy almost a monopoly" in American colleges. The effect of this monopoly is that "pessimism, discouragement and the credo of despair have been skillfully instilled into the minds of our youth. It has been done with planned premeditation."

"The prestige of Harvard University has been used to promote a destructive ideology," it charges. Followers of the doctrine include "the whole gamut of the totalitarian world. Socialists, Nazis, Fascists, Argentine Peronistas, followers of Nehru and those in the United States who yearn for a 'man on horseback' have embraced the socio-economic thinking of Keynes."