90 Colleges to Enter Forensic Competition Here This February

With teams competing from more than 90 schools, the Seventh Annual Harvard Invitational Forensic Tournament, Feb. 4-6, will be the largest intercollegiate match of its kind ever held in the United States.

Debaters will come from as far west as the University of California (Berkeley), the University of Texas, Rice Institute, and Brigham Young University, according to Albert W. Alschuler '62, public relations director for the Debate Council.

Debate Topic

The topic for the series is "Resolved: That Congress should be given the power to reverse decisions of the Supreme Court." The two-man teams will alternately argue the affirmative and negative sides of the resolution.

There will also be individual "ex tempore" competition. In this contest, the participant draws a topic by lot, receives an hour for preparation, then delivers his speech before the judges.

Each school will bring its own judge, usually its debate coach, for the meeting's preliminary rounds. However, the Debate Council hopes to secure "some-body notable" to judge the final round of competition.