Nixon May Shape Platform

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON, Jan. 3--Vice President Richard M. Nixon may take a hand in Republican platform writing to aim a general election appeal at the independent voters.

If he remains unopposed for the GOP presidential nomination, Nixon will exercise the privilege--usually reserved to presidents running for re-election-of dictating the general principles on which the party will campaign next fall.

For Nixon this will provide an opportunity to bid for the support of independent voters. Their backing is regarded as necessary to the nationally outnumbered Republicans.

In fashioning the general outline of the platform to be produced at the Chicago convention in July, Nixon can be expected to try to counter Democratic charges that he was favored by "Old Guard" Republicans who drove New York Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller out of contention for the presidential nomination.

Macmillan to Tour Africa

LONDON, Jan. 3--Prime Minister Har- old Macmillan is leaving Tuesday on a month-long tour of Africa that will test his nerves and diplomatic skill.

His journey will take him to protectorates and independent nations associated with Britain. All quiver with complex and generally unrelated problems.

But Macmillan has emphasized he is not going with a pack of preconceived plans to adjust the difficulties of awakening Africans. At most, he indicated, he might offer some friendly suggestions.

Macmillan will stop first in Ghana, travel through western and central Africa, and wind up in the Union of South Africa.

Anti-Semitic Outbursts Spread

FRANKFURT, Germany, Jan. 3.--A wave of anti-Semitic outbursts, apparently touched off by the Christmas Eve desecration of a Cologne synagogue, had spread last night to eight European nations. West Berlin also has become involved