Seven Seniors Set New Record for Rhodes Scholarships

Seven seniors have gained for Harvard the record for the most Rhodes Scholarships won in one year by a college in the 57-year history of the award.

The achievement tops last last year's high of five, which the College shared with West Point, and which was matched this year by runner-up Yale. Princeton, with three winners, and West Point and Williams, with two each, were the only other college to gain more than a single Rhodes Scholarship winner.

Harvard winners are David M. Balabanian '60, of Kirkland House and Cashmere, Wash., a Government concentrator; Robert C. Darnton '61-4, of Adams House and New York City, History and Literature; Langley C. Keyes, Jr. '60, of Eliot House and Winchester, History; Julius B. Levine '60, of Winthrop House and Waterville, Me., Economics; Charles E. Lister '60, of Leverett House and Miami, Fla., Government; Charles W. Maynes '60, of Adams House and Salt Lake City, Utah, History; and David G. Winter '60, of Eliot House and Grand Rapids, Mich., Social Relations.

The College placed a winner in five of the eight regions, each of which is made up of about four states and is awarded four scholarships. It also gained three of the four New England Regions awards, since Darnton competed from the Harvard region, rather than from his home region.

"Unpredictable Luck"

Time magazine attributed the College's success to "the unpredictable luck of an especially impressive batch of aspiring seniors." It did discern a trend, however, and admitted that the record number of winners "also seemed to reflect the rising standards in the nation's applicant-besieged prestige colleges."