Crimson Will Meet UMass In Battle of Quarterbacks

By Robert E. Smith

Two of the top quarterbacks in New England, the Crimson's Charlie Ravenel and Massachusett's John McCormick, meet face to face this afternoon as the varsity entertains the Redmen in what should be a repeat of last year's free-scoring contest. Kick-off time at the Stadium is 2 p.m.

The Crimson rates as a two-touchdown favorite, but head coach John Yovicsin has reason for concern. McCormick, a good passer, is supported by a solid, well-balanced UMass squad, no longer the easy opponent of the 1950's. The chance of a letdown after last week's 13-6 win over Holy Cross and the recent near-upsets of Ivy League teams by Yankee Conference representatives also gives the varsity the propect of a tough game.

"You can throw the book away when state universities play the Ivies," Yovicsin said last Saturday. "We can't afford to slow up."

Problem number one is Mr. McCormick who has clicked on 18 of 30 passes for 252 yards and one touchdown in Mass's two games this season. McCormick is a master of the long pass--"the knock-out punch of football" to Yovicsin.

Thus, the favorite's role means little if McCormick catches the Crimson defenders off guard and breaks up the game with a TD pass or two. In anticipation, the varsity has worked all week on pass defense. Although Yovicsin was encouraged by last weekend's defense, he realized that on a few occasions Crusader ends were able to break away and failed to score only because of inaccurate passing.

Ever since Cornell beat the Crimson 20 to 16 on a final-minute long pass last October, Harvard followers have squirmed in their seats whenever the opponents' quarterback fades back. Today figures to be "squirming day" on the home side of the stands.

The varsity, besides watching for the long pass, must be ready to match an improved, experienced Massachusetts line. With 15 of 21 returning lettermen on the line, Mass has good depth in its defense-conscious forward wall.

The inspiration behind the revived Massachusetts team is first-year coach Chuck Studley. Formerly a top assistant at Illinois, Studley is a defense specialist who directs his players to concentrate on the opponents' top individual performer. Mass, unlike Holy Cross, should be ready for Ravenel and his unpredictable play-making.

Ravenel Ready

However, neither Yovicsin nor anybody else around Cambridge is about to admit that any team can prepare for the little gambling quarterback. Against the Crusaders, Ravenel completed eight passes out of 18 attempts for 90 yards and a touchdown, but his real talent was in directing the Crimson's running attack to a total of 262 yards.

Ravenel will probably make plenty of use today of halfbacks Larry Repsher and Bruce MacIntyre, the experienced double threat in the backfield. Behind the two seniors are three relative newcomers whose play last Saturday was the surprise of the game. Sustituting for Repsher is Tom Boone, who showed against Holy Cross that he can get off an unexpected left-handed pass when needed; and sophomore Hobie Armstrong, whose touchdown run against the Crusaders was nullified by a penalty, will be ready to jump in at left half. John Damis, instrumental in last week's second touchdown drive, can substitute at either halfback spot.

The only change for the Crimson from the starting line-up that faced Holy Cross will be at left tackle where Darwin Wile will take over for senior Bob Pillsbury. After a minor neck injury in last week's encounter, Pillsbury is ready to play but will not see full-time duty.

Last Sunday a Midwest newspaper headline characterized the Crimson's previous performance as "Outweighed but not Outguessed." The varsity, like their quarterback, are again outweighed but seem able to outguess once more the opposition and gain its second win of the season