Soccer Team Faces Jeffs

Amherst Has Defense, Depth

By Michael S. Lottman

The youthful varsity soccer team may gain a great deal of competitive maturity in this afternoon's game with Amherst, and even coach Bruce Munro may age considerably. The Lord Jeffs, led by all-American fullback Drew Mallory, will pose a severe threat to the sophomore-studded Crimson eleven.

Last year at Amherst, the varsity team that went on to win the Ivy League title had to battle for a 1-1 tie with the Jeffs. Late in the encounter, Mallory sank to his knees in front of an unguarded goal to block a Crimson shot that would have decided the contest.

Game Set for 1 p.m.

Today at 1 p.m. on the Business School Field, Mallory will face the varsity once more, along with several other returnees--notably halfback Walter Barnette and center forward Roger Pennington. It was Barnette's posterior that ended another serious Crimson threat in 1959, deflecting an on-target attempt by Larry Ekpebu.

Amherst coach Steven Rostas said last night that his squad had more depth than last year's, and about the same over-all quality. "We'll give Harvard a good battle," he predicted.

Munro may start Tadhg Sweeney and Philip Hime at wing, Teddy Wendell and Johann Nottebohm at inside, Seamus Malin at center forward, Bill King, Peter Savage, and Bill Driver at halfback, Tim Morgan and Sandy Cortesi at fullback, and Bob Forbush in the goal. Then again, he may not.

Several other players who did well in the opening 1-0 victory over Tufts Wednesday will see action, and may be in the starting lineup. Dick McIntosh, who was the best dribbler on the field despite two heavily bandaged legs, may have recuperated enough to open at inside or wing. Sophomore Tony Davies, a revelation at center half, is another possible starter.

Sweeney Stars Against Tufts

Sweeney was the offensive hero against Tufts, scoring the winning goal with 7:00 left in the game. He may put in time today at inside or center forward. Several of the varsity's injured legions--which include Sam Rodd, Chris Martin, John Jeppson, Charley David, and Bruce Johnstone--should be ready to go this afternoon.

Forbush turned in a fine performance in the goal Wednesday with the handicap of a dislocated finger. He can expect a busier day against Amherst, however.