High Democrat Registration Raises Party's Prospects in Pennsylvania

The Campaign: I

By Frederic Ballard

(This is the first of a series of articles which CRIMSON editors will examine political prospects in key states the country.)

Pennsylvania's smoothly-oiled machine, grinding along largely the advice or interference of Kennedy, has advanced to within of winning the state's 32 electoral . With two weeks remaining before Senator's final bid for a virtually Philadelphia supremacy, have out-registered the Republicans in the cities and on a state-wide for the first time since the Civil .

The Republicans' only hope is a repeat the 1956 voting, in which Democratic in the big cities were not enough overcome the GOP vote in the suburbs. won the state by 73,000 margin that had disappeared by the 1958 election.

Republican Explanation

The latest Republican theory on the decline is that GOP voters turn only for the big elections, while the efficient Democratic machine get voters to the polls any time. The Republicans, therefore, are counting on the five densely-populated surrounding Philadelphia, and a lesser degree on the Pittsburgh .

Sixon and Lodge are both popular in Pennsylvania. At a Philadelphia speech fall, Nixon attracted more than 400,- spectators, while Lodge scored successes in other parts of state. Where the ticket attracts, however, the veto and voting records of Eisenhower and the Republican-dominated state senate repel. Pennsylvania has had trouble this year with lay-offs in the steel, rail, and coal industries, and the Republican treatment of various relief measures proposed during the past few years has not been such as satisfies the working man.

On the whole, the registration figures give the best capsule picture of the campaign so far: 2,851,000 Democrats to 2,312,000 Republicans. Most of the Democratic strength is again in the cities; in Philadlephia, for example, the party has mustered 620,000 registrants as opposed to only 408,000 for the GOP.

Republican Explanation

Republican Explanation