Expedition to Turkey Finds Ancient Relics

A College professor and over 200 companions spent the summer digging in , Turkey--once the Paris of the ancient world--and uncovered major discoveries that give a new insight into the transition from the Bronze Age to the Iron Age in Western Asia Minor.

Among the findings unearthed by the are several large jars incized with representing an entirely unknown system, remnants from a Lydian business district, and tons of crumbled columns from a large colonaded court.

The Harvard-Cornell expedition team Sardis included 17 students and faculty members and 200 workmen under the direction of George M. A. Hanfmann, professor of Fine Arts, and A. Henry , professor at Cornell.

Guiding itself by the changing style Greek pottery fragments, the expedition was able to pinpoint discoveries in time sequence that spans 2,700 years the city's history, from 1250 to 700 C.

Buildings destroyed about 1200 B.C., by "sons of Hercules"--who establishment a dynasty in Sardis about that time, according to the Greek historian, Heroplus--were included among the findings. Traces of buildings which perished in a fire around the same time were discovered 30 feet underground.

Several hundred yards to the west of these discoveries, the excavators found of Lydian buildings which per in 547 B.C., when Cyrus, King of , captured Sardis.

Later, around 500 B.C., the rebellious Greeks burned the buildings of the conquerors. Over these ruins the found a monumental structure believed to be part of an ancient Persian .

Other highlights of the summer were discoveries of fragmentary Byzantine wall paintings in a large bath, and terra friezes dating from 647 B.C.