Dartmouth, One of Top Defensive Elevens, Meets Varsity Gridders Today at Stadium

Indians Favored by 7

By Robert E. Smith

Dartmouth, a strong seven-point favorite, invades the Stadium this afternoon to terrify the varsity football team in the 64th renewal of the Harvard-Dartmouth series. The Crimson, which has thus far found rough going in the scoring department, must face the top ranking defensive team in the nation (on the basis of points allowed).

Both teams put their Ivy League hopes on the line in the game at Soldiers Field at 2 p.m. For the Indians a loss, their first of the League race, would prevent them from tying Yale for the loop lead and lesson hopes for the championship. The Crimson, which seems consigned to plodding along as well as possible, views every game from here on as "the most important of the season." A victory will keep the varsity in the running and prolong the suspense until next week; a loss would cut down on attendance for the rest of the season.

John Yovicsin's squad has a good chance of winning any one of its remaining games, but what worries Cambridge fans is the equally good chance that the team can blow the works against even its weakest opponents.

The Indians, who, under coach Bob Blackman, have overcome inexperience, lack of size, and high graduation losses, belong to the category of strong opponents. Their heartbreaking loss to Holy Cross by a last half-minute field goal last Saturday is the only thing that might slow them down.

To break through the Dartmouth defense, Yovicsin hopes for junior quarterback Ted Halaby to move the team as he did for a while against Columbia. His handling of a ten-play touchdown drive in the last quarter satisfied Yovicsin, so Halaby has the job--until the coach is no longer satisfied.

Halaby is strictly a rushing quarterback, and so sophomore Terry Bartolet, sixth ranking passer in the League, will be called upon in passing situations. The Indians, however, have a couple of pretty good defensive backs, Dick Beattle and John Krumme, who have proved adept at breaking up passes.

Another reason for Dartmouth's impressive defensive record is captain Kenny DeHaven. Watch for the 209-pound linebacker to plug the line and anticipate every move of the backfield. Thanks to a rugged corps of seniors who form the heart of the Indians defense-DeHaven, Jim McChinney, Henry Gerfen, and Charlie Chapman--Dartmouth has allowed only 15 points this season. Those fifteen points include a touchdown pass each by New Hampshire and Holy Cross and a gift field goal for the Crusaders. The Hanoverians have allowed only 78.8 yards per game and rank sixth nationally in overall rushing defense.

Thus far, the Big Green offense has been just good enough to win--except once--but its personal is such that the offensive attack at Hanover is potentially one of the League's best. One of the League's finest quarterbacks, Jack Kinderine, has done surprisingly well in replacing 1959 all-Ivy Bill Gundy. Kinderdine has completed 30 for 60 passes in four games and also has the Ivy's top average, 50 per cent.

Kinderdine's ability as a passer is bound to cause trouble. The Crimson pass defense, though improved, is hardly what it should be. Against Columbia's Tom Vassell, who had plenty of time to spot receivers, the varsity secondary either stayed with the man on the outside and let him catch the ball while surrounded or left the center completely wide open.

The Crimson pass defense in two Ivy games--115.5 yards allowed per game--is the worst in the League.

Dartmouth, if by chance unsuccessful by air, can take to a rushing attack, led by one of the Ivies' best halfbacks, Al Rozycki. An expert pass catcher at right half, Rozycki was the villian who took a perfect Gundy screen pass for the touchdown in the Green's 9-0 victory at the Stadium last fall.

After scoring his team's only TD last weekend, Rozycki will be trying to extend his scoring streak to ten consecutive games today.

The Crimson line will have to be more aggressive today than it has been in its last three outings, for the unnoticed third man in the V-formation backfield, Greg Cooke, is the fastest of them all.

In an effort to put some semblance of pep into the offensive line-up, Yovicsin will start Hobie Armstrong, sophomore speedster, at left half to team with Larry Repsher. After a good day in the Holy Cross opener, Repsher has been conspicuously absent from full-time duty.

Ready for action will be Pete Hart, a junior end who was very impressive in pre-season work-outs. Hart, out all season with a broken hand, will alternate with Burt Messenbaugh at right end.

For John Yovicsin and the boys, the game will be a toughie. Blackman has done an amazing job and comes to Cambridge with a team destined for big things this year. Destined for more, that is, than will be the Crimson if it loses this afternoon