Crowds Greet Kennedy With Enthusiasm, Doubt

Campaigns in Pennsylvania

By Craig K. Comstook, (Special to the CRIMSON)

EN ROUTE WITH KENNEDY, Northeastern Pennsylvania, Oct. 28--In Sugar N cotch, Penn., where the faces of the unemployed are as hard as the thracite they used to mine--nearly every house was plastered with Kennedy sters. The motorcade made an unscheduled stop, and the Senator placed a death on a statue of the man who "moved this country ahead" in 1932.

This scene was symbolic of Kennedy's whole tour from Bethlehem--where started the day in the living room of an unemployed steelworker--to Scranton, where he pledged prompt Federal aid to prevent "young people moving out of these families being broken up, and whole communities withering away."

Although the area gave Elsenhower a smashing majority in 1956, people are listening for an echo of the New Deal, and Kennedy brought it. "If you feel at a minimum wage of $1.25 is extreme," he told the crowds, "Mr. Nixon is your

"But if you share my view," and here came roars of approval, "this country ours has to move ahead. We can't permit 50 per cent of our steel capacity to go used." Portraying his opponent as "content" and himself as "not satisfied," Kennedy pointed to falling U.S. prestige and argued that "if our country is strong home, we will be respected abroad."

But though the Senator was hailed in New York, his crowds here were more curious than committed. Repeated- he was greeted with cries of "Nixon, as well as with outstretched The loudest cheers came from people--the ones wearing "If I 21, I'd Vote For Kennedy" buttons. And yet, when the Senator called for in "moving this country forward the looks of undefined expectation to smiles, and voters cheered too, depending mainly on a vigorous going of the New Deal spirit, Kennedy raising the question of a decline in prestige.

Yet the G.O.P. candidate's charge of downgrading" the U.S. has hurt.

I don't need lessons on devotion to my entry from Mr. Nixon or anyone else," Kennedy snapped.

I downgrade not the U.S., but a leadership that stands satisfied."

The "sharp difference" between the candidates, he said, is that Nixon runs on a program that "You've never had it so good" and that our prestige is at an all-time high. "I want to make it clear," the Senator said to cheers, "that I disagree with him on both counts."

Kennedy reached Scranton over two hours late because of the crowds all through the outskirts.

More specific in an evening speech there, Kennedy told how the G.O.P. had defeated Democratic bills for area re-development and for long-term loans to new industry.

Kennedy proposed a Federal agency to which local development and lending institutions could sell the mortgages on industrial buildings, thus gaining funds for new buildings.

His opponent, said the Senator, is callous about men out of work. "Unless unemployment goes over 4.5 million," Kennedy quoted Nixon as saying, "It doesn't become a significant issue in the minds of a great many people."

Although today's crowds were unaware, negotiations had broken down for a fifth TV debate late in the afternoon. Kennedy sent a telegram to the vice-President stating that though he had agreed to all of Nixon's stipulations--a two hour program, limitation of subjects, and an appearance of the two running mates--"Your representative refuses to make a final commitment of time and place."

Terming this reluctance "incomprehensible to me," Kennedy offered to debate Nixon on TV "at any time, in any city"--and gave his opponent 24 hours to answer.

Along with economic hardship and falling U.S. prestige, the Senator's staff regards Nixon's reluctance for a fifth debate as a winning issue. Kennedy is taking care, however, not to antagonize his opponent over the fifth debate, in the hope that it can still be arranged.

But if Nixon's answer is no, the Democratic candidate will revive charges that he self-publicized "kitchen debater" is afraid of meeting him face to face again before 70 million Americans.

Among the Kennedy campaign staff, the mood is guardedly festive. The Senator himself has become hoarse, but more radiant even than yesterday. Along his 15-hour motorcade route, he stopped and left his car to shake the hands of construction workers and to inspect a rural schoolhouse and urge the beaming youngsters to "learn your lessons well."

The candidate's right hand was actually bloody from handshaking. "These men have been working in the mines," Kennedy said. "They've got a good grip.