Band's Spoofing, Coach's Sweater Enliven Contest

By Robert E. Smith

John Steigman, Pennsylvania head coach, was hardly the picture of contentment after Saturday's game. Between puffs of his cigar, the losing coach gave short, flat replies in a tight-lipped whisper to reporters' questions at the post-game press conference.

Bitter over his team's showing and hardly worried about public relations at this point, Steigman frustrated the writers with his reluctance to say anything. Harvard coach John Yovicsin carried the conference along, as he restrained much show of joy and agreed that, yes, every respect of his team's play satisfied him.

The only item that Boston scribes could find for Monday morning color was about Yovicsin's new crimson sweater. The story goes that several female football fans, including Mrs. Pusey, distressed that the coach has worn a blue sweater at the last two Yale games, knitted the sweater and presented it to Yovicsin before the game.

Band Parodies Election

Politics, along with cigar smoke and talk of sweaters, pervaded the air around Soldiers Field. The Band presented its quadrennial poke at both parties. Saluting the advantages and disadvantages of the Nixon-Lodge ticket, the Band formed a UN, which evolved into a U-2; and in honor of Kennedy, the boys played "Younger than Springtime." After all the foolishness the Band announced its endorsement with the traditional "Winter-green for President."

For those who seek trends in such polls, Kennedy now leads Nixon in the number of pins sold by Stadium vendors, 295 to 278.

Ravenel Watches Game

Charlie Ravenel still hops stiff-legged to the top of the Stadium to spot the game with the coaches on the phones. After the Halaby-Boyda touchdown pass, a few associates along the sidelines waved to the press box, indicating that the suggestion for the play came from upstairs.

Tom Boone, rightfielder on the baseball team, was one-for-two on the gridiron. He muffed a high punt in the third period, and the resultant fumble set up a Penn scoring chance. In the last quarter Boone redeemed himself by centering under a stray pass from Penn's George Koval. The interception helped a lot.