Soccer Team to Meet Big Red Without Aid of Fullback Cortesi

By Michael S. Lottman

The varsity soccer team will play Cornell in Ithaca this morning at 11:30 a.m. without the valuable services of fullback Sandy Cortesi. Several other key performers will be absent or in battered condition as the Crimson opens its defense of the Ivy League title.

Cortesi's loss, coach Bruce Munro said recently, "is the biggest blow the cam could have had." The big fullback had done an amazing job plugging he gap left by three-time all-Ivy Lanny Keyes. His infected foot is expected to be in good shape in time for the Williams game next Wednesday.

Charlie David, himself recently recovered from an injury, will take over for cortesi. David replaced the incapacitated Tim Morgan in last year's Amherst contest, and came through with an excellent performance in his first varsity starting role. Morgan will team with David today.

Munro can hardly afford a leak in his defense, since his offense has been something less than explosive so far. The wing position is especially depleted, with Philip Hime apparently gone for the season. Sam Rodd out with pulled groin and thing muscles, and Chris Martin suffering to a smaller degree from the same ailments.

Munro will start Tadhg Sweeney and Dick McIntosh, who has been playing with both legs taped, at wing. "If Sweeney gets hurt, which is next to impossible. I'll have to put Martin in," Munro said. "If McIntosh is hurt, I'll play myself." Johann Nottebohm has been working out at wing this week, just in case.

The rest of the first line--insides Seamus Malin and Teddy Wendell and center Albert Chang--Is healthy, but its members are virtually unacquainted with each other.

Left halfback Bill King is in one piece, but center half Peter Savage and right half Bill Driver are a bit below par.

Goalie Bob Forbush is hampered by a dislocated finger and a strained back. Luckily for the Crimso, sophomore John Adams seems to be Forbush's equal.

Even Munro is alling, with a virus. But with all these injuries, the Crimson still should be able to handle Cornell. The Big Red, weakened by the graduation of all-Ivy wing Ron Maierhoffer, will probably be less of a problem to Munro than the necessity of keeping 11 men on the field.