Varsity Eleven Beats Brown, 22-8

By Michael S. Lottman

The varsity football team beat Brown Saturday, 22 to 8, but nobody was very happy about it.

Coach John Yovicsin and his charges may have derived some satisfaction from the solid triumph, but few others did. Certainly, Brown mentor John McLaughry and his boys were not overjoyed. And the crowd of 15,000 went away bored stiff.

After both teams bumbled through the first quarter, Crimson halfback Hank Hatch opened the second period with a hang by taking a Ray Barry punt on his own 49 and going 51 yards for a touchdown. Making a difficult catch into the sun, Hatch fooled the charging Brown tacklers by taking the ball on a dead run. Once past the first Bruin wave, he headed for the sideline and followed his interference beautifully. Hoble Armstrong hit over tackle for the two points.

Cohen Recovers Kickoff

When Steve Cohen bounced a line-drive kickoff off the best of Brown center Bill Packer and recovered the ball on the Brown 49, the fans sensed a rout in the making. But the Crimson, after penetrating to the Bruin 10, couldn't go any farther, and then the Great Conspiracy to Let Brown Score began.

Brown was stalled on three plays, and Barry punted from his own 28. Hatch acted as though he were going to catch the ball, until the last split second, when he nobly deferred to his cohort, Armstrong, Needless to say, Armstrong was somewhat taken aback, and the ball bounced between the two men. Hatch gave chase, and succeeded in touching the ball, after which Jim Thompson recovered for Brown on the Harvard 22.

Three plays later, Brown had gone eight yards forward and four yards backward. On fourth down, halfback Bobby Myles rolled out to the right and tried a pass, which was intercepted by the varsity's Tom Gaston on the Harvard 19. But a bone-crushing tackle by the 5 ft., 6 in., 140-lb. Myles shook Bruce Macintyre loose from the ball on the next play, and the Bruins had yet another chance.

After two passes failed, Brown quarterback Jack Rohrbach wound up and threw what looked like a sure incompletion. It bounced off several hands, including those of Thompson and at least three Crimson defenders, and was caught by a very surprised Roger Cirone. Cirone ran the 10 yards to the goal untouched, and Rohrbach added the conversion on a beautiful fake and a sweep around end.

It took the varsity just nine plays to get back its lead. Terry Bartolet fooled everybody by calling a pass with third and one on the Brown 33, and hit end Bob Boyda with a beautiful throw for six points a minute and a half before intermission. Hatch failed on the try for two points.

With Ted Halaby at the controls, the varsity scored again in the third period on a drive that covered 53 yards in just six plays. The big play was a 29-yard sprint up the middle by halfback Tom Boone that brought the ball to the one-foot line.

The the Crimson relaxed, as Yovicsin put in virtually every sophomore on the squad. It may have been fun for the players, but the spectators couldn't have cared less, and left in droves.

Bartolet had another fine day at quarterback, completing four of six for 67 yards and one touchdown.

Tackle Bob Pillsbury reinforced his claim to all-East honors with another sterling defensive showing. He was instrumental in holding Bruin fullback Barry to 10 yards in five carries, and rushed Rohrbach consistently.

In the post-game press conference, coach John Yovicsin said that quarterback Charlie Ravenel and guard and captain Terry Lensner will not play against Yale. Of Ravenel, Yovicsin said, "Unless he can come out Monday and run all the plays--which he will not be able to do--he won't be able to play against Yale." The coach added, "Lensner thinks he will be ready, but I have doubts. He's not even practicing as much as Ravenel.