Eliot Trounces Bulldogs in Football, Soccer

House Soccer Teams Triumph Over Yale In 3 of 4 Games

The Eliot, Adams, and Dunster House soccer teams defeated their Yale counterparts and Lowell House came up with a double-overtime tie in a Crimson soccer sweep yesterday afternoon.

In the championship game, Eliot House maintained a slim 1-0 halftime lead throughout the second half to down Yale's Calhoun College in a hard fought contest. Calhoun made repeated attempts in the second half to score on the tired Elephants but couldn't put a goal past sophomore John Marshall, last year's freshman goalie.

The first and only Eliot score came midway in the first half on a solo by center Jorge Henriquez. Calhoun was driving the ball into Crimson territory when right half John Boyd intercepted a pass and gave it off to Henriquez, who went in for the score completely alone. The Calhoun goalie never had a chance.

The Elephants continued to control the play for the rest of the half as the opposing team's forward line rarely got into position after Calhoun's backs had kicked the ball into Eliot territory.

At half time the Elephants celebrated their 1-0 lead with sherry and chocolate eclairs and even invited Calhoun to the party. Greatly refreshed, Eliot House took the field for the second half only to face a fired-up Calhoun team. Early in the half center forward Hanriquez was ejected from the game and from then on Calhoun controlled the ball, continually forging deep in Eliot territory. Goalie Marshall made many beautiful saves, however, to preserve his shut-out.

Lowell Ties Pierson

In the last game of the day Lowell House broke a scoreless tie late in the last half and then gave up a goal to Pierson College a minute before the end of the game. For two five minute over-times Lowell made repeated attempts to score but failed each time and left the field with a 1-1 tie.

Center forward Ezra Griffith tallied for the Bellboys near the finish of the closely contested game. The Crimson first line then left the field for substitutes but in their absence a Pierson player caught the whole Lowell team out of position and scored an easy solo.

The two other games put Adams against Saybrook College, and Dunster against Berkley. The Funsters soundly defeated their opponents 4-1 while the Gold Coasters squeezed by, 3-2. Quincy House will meet Branford College tomorrow at 10 a.m. in the last game of the soccer program.