Lodge at Harvard: Loyal Conservation 'Who Knew Just What He Wanted to Do.

By Mary ELLEN Gale

In the fall of 1920, Warren G. Harding campaigned his way across the United States, sharply attacking President Wood row Wilson and Democratic aspirant James M. Cox and reiterating his objections to the League of Nations. With him in spirit if not in fact, and certainly upstaging him on the world political scene, was that fiery, unforgettable Senator from Massachusetts, Henry Cabot Lodge '71, who single-mindedly and almost single-handedly pulled the props from under the tottering: League, As Lodge battled fiercely with Wilson, satisfying conservatives and outraging liberals the world around, his namesake and grandson quietly registered along with 622 other young men in the Harvard Class of 1924.

At the time it appeared that Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr.--called Cabot or Cab to distinguish him from his grandfather--had inherited his predilections as well as his name. Certainly nothing in the background or outward appearance of the cool, reserved, self-assured, but above all politically conservative and proudly Republican Middle-sex graduate indicated that he would one day equal the elder Lodge's reputation by repudiating his grandfather's isolationist ideals and working within the United Nations to secure world peace.

Long before he entered Harvard, Cabot had conceived a tremendous respect for the man who had raised him and supervised his education since his father's death 11 years earlier. In addition, his family pride and courage had been tested by fire only a few months prior to his registration at Harvard. In the spring of 1919, when the bitter controversy between Lodge and Wilson was at its height, that irascible individualist, Charles Town-send Copeland, paid a visit to Middle-sex. During an address to the entire student body, Copey found occasion to vent his political spleen by observing, "The world would be a better place without the three L's--Lenin, Ludendorff, and Lodge." Throughout the lecture, Cabot managed to restrain himself, but when it was over he marched up to the platform. Identifying himself coldly, he looked Copey in the eye and said, "I want to thank you for mentioning my grandfather." Speechless, for once in his long and voluble career, Copeland turned to the headmaster and demanded why he had not been informed that there was a Lodge in the audience. The headmaster, possibly encouraged by Cabot's bold example, replied dryly that he had not expected Copey to descend to such a personal attack.

Besides Copeland, a number of well-remembered professors were members of the Harvard Faculty during the three years Cabot spent as an undergraduate. George Pierce Baker, George Lyman Kittredge, and Bliss Perry taught English Literature; Frederick Merk, Samuel Eliot Morison, and Frederick Jackson Turner interpreted History; Ralph Barton Perry taught philosophy; James Bryant Conant was then an assistant professor of Chemistry, and Irving Babbitt instructed students in the subtleties of French Literature. The last subject caught the interest of Cabot, who had spent three years in French schools before entering Middle-sex and spoke French as fluently as English. He majored in Romance Languages and Literatures, then the third most popular field of concentration behind English and Economics, and graduated Cum Laude.

In the early 1920's Harvard's physical set-up was substantially quite different from that of the present. On the day Cabot registered as a freshman, Widened Library had stood for only five years, and Memorial Church had not even been built. Nevertheless, the University suffered from growing pains. The science buildings had become much too small to accommodate the increasing number of budding chemists, so that Edward Mallinckrodt's gift in 1923 of $500,000 for the construction of a new chemical laboratory met with widespread relief and gratitude. With President's Lowell's cherished House system still 12 years in the future, Cabot spent his first year at the College living in Stan dish Hall, now part of Winthrop House, overlooking the river, and his last two in Randolph, now incorporated into Adams House on Mt. Vernon St.

His roommates--at one time numbering 11--possessed a wide range of personalities and backgrounds. Although most of Lodge's friends were Bostonians like himself or New Yorkers, the residents of the suite in Randolph included a couple of Midwesterners and a Cuban named Thorvald Sanchez, whose father managed a string of dairy farms. John Mason Brown and Corliss Lamont provided a literary aura. James M. Newell, Jr., Lodge's immediate roommate, can recall heated arguments between Cabot, who then admired his grandfather's stand against the League of Nations, and the vehemently liberal Lament, who once urged the Union to invite Eugene V. Debs to speak at the University. "They were good friends," according to Newell, "but they didn't always see eye to eye."

Although the group concentrated hard on both their studies and their extracurricular activities, Frank T. Baldwin remembers Lodge as not only a "very brilliant student" but also "a very entertaining guy to live with." On weekends, the roommates often would drive to Nahant and picnic on Lodge's beach. Three of them, including Cabot, had drivers' licenses and bought an old Model T Ford which Newell describes as "the hot rod of its day--sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't." When it didn't, it occasionally involved the owners in embarrassing situations. Once the car stalled in front of the Massachusetts State House with Cabot driving. Three or four of his roommates got out to push, while a small crowd gathered to watch the famous Senator's grandson yanking gears.

During Cabot's years at the political thought and activities up by World War I and you events coalesced in a number of dergraduate clubs. In the fall freshman year, the Harvard Coolidge Club attracted more than 1,700 members out of varsity enrollment of 5,500. The CRIMSON lauded Harding's "promise position" on the big entrance into the League of

After the elections, the Harvard Coolidge Club followed the course and metamorphosed Republican Club in time for congressional race. Lodge, patting in both the Conservation and the Republican Club the G.O.P. group in his at the College. Arthur to combe '06, Eaton Professor Science of Government, But remembers sitting next to a Republican Club banquet discussing politics with was a natural for a political Holcombe comment. "He name, personality, incentive money."

Not everyone would agree combe. Although a friend and mate active with Lodge in the publican Club and the Society describes him as "not referent in his so-called 'formation from what he is now," there who remember and contra sledge conservatism with his position among the liberalization Republican Party. Accordingly other member of Signet where Lodge when he was President organization in 1923, he was a cool man, although vivid and minded. There was every real he should have lived a muted literally."

Those who lived closest the attribute a small but perhaps can't change in his personality college days. Newell recall as being "somewhat snobbish beginning." By the end of the however, "he used to talk tutors on trains. He liked as and became deeply interested paper work." Nevertheless clear that Lodge intended to career in journalism as a spot to one in politics.

Lodge's College friends him as dynamic, able, interesting, well high minded, and idealistic he enjoyed college, but consider properly, as a means to an end of them says. "He looked for the active world of newspaper and government. He always definite ideas on whatever talking about. If there was thing that differentiated his the rest of us, it was that exactly what he wanted to do.

In the little but not whom significant world of Harvard carved out a substantial place self. He dabbled in such activities as sailing and rowing mined with his social equal Hasty Pudding, Fox, and reminisced with old friend Middle-sex Club. In June, 1929 year ahead of his class, he is the requirements for a degree honors and went to the Boston EveningThirty-seven years later, United career of service for the United government and the Republican Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr., 20 the Republican nomination of President of the United States