Most Participants Favor Advanced Standing Plan

Praise Flexibility of Program

By Stephen F. Jencks

More than eighty per cent of students admitted as sophomores under the Advanced Standing program strongly and favor its continuation without substantial change, a poll by the CRIMSON and the Student Council Committee on Educational Policy has revealed.

For a majority of students who took Sophomore Standing, the flexibility of the program and the chance to avoid repetition of work done in school were the greatest attractions. About four out of five students said they would have objected to a requirement that they take three lower level General Education courses rather than the single one required of them. Many are still undecided whether they will spend three or four years at the College.

Most of those satisfied with the program felt that it had fulfilled their expectations well. The flexibility of the program, expressed by a student who said he had accepted because, "I had everything to gain and nothing to lose," was also, however, the greatest weakness for many. There were frequent complaints that guidance was inadequate and that most students did not know how to cope with the options presented.

Some Regret Decision

Several students, however, expressed both dissatisfaction and bitterness at the program. "I am now very sorry I ever heard of Soph Standing: I get the impression that I may spend the rest of my school days trying to make the best of what turned out to be a pretty raw deal. I may just fail too, judging from the rank list."

Another replied, "Soph Standing has ruined my academic life here, and it hasn't helped any with extra-curricular activities. I don't want to graduate in three years anyway."

But an overwhelming majority held the opposite view, and most said explicitly that the program had made their first year more interesting. Although most recognized that they held not been through the same experience as freshmen, few felt much loss. "I feel that saving the year for later work is worth putting up with the few inconveniences involved in accepting Sophomore Standing," said me student.

Asked if he thought he had covered the freshman year in secondary school, another replied, "No, but I think I can get along without it. Since I plan to go to graduate school, I feel that in the long run the freshman year won't be vital."

The actual portion of students intending to go to graduate school actually fell somewhat below the eighty per cent figure for last year's senior class, and there was no trend toward interest in graduate study from the beginning to the end of college.

The trend of grades after the first year was slightly downward for those answering the poll, a contrast with the slight upward trend for the College as a whole. This might be related to the higher grades generally given in upper level courses, which would make first year standing higher than would otherwise be expected.

Many A.P. Sophomores expressed contempt for the lower level General Education requirement. "I think that if one must go and get a liberal education it's better to take real courses instead of these watered-down fakes," one responded