Ferry to Read Poetic Works; Octet Will Play

David Ferry, assistant professor of English at Wellesley College, will read his own poetry at 4 p.m. tomorrow in the Lamont Forum Room. The reading, which will be followed by musical selections, represents a unique venture for the Summer School.

For the first time, a noted poet will read in person from his own works. Previous programs have consisted solely of recordings.

Ferry has edited a book, Laura Wordsworth. His latest book, On the Way to the Island (a collection of poetry), will be released soon by the Wesleyan University Press.

More programs of this type are planned for the future, although final arrangements have not yet been completed. Announcement of readings will be made by the Summer News.

Jazz Concert

The Varty Haroutinian Jazz Workshop octet, featuring trumpeter Herb Pomeroy, will perform this Monday evening at 8:30 p.m. in Sanders Theatre. The concert is free and open to the public.

Fr. Norman J. O'Connor, C.S.P., will act as commentator for the group, whose selections will include "The Thrill Is Gone," "Moanin'," "Azure," "That Old Feeling," "Rib Room," "Three Part Suite for Octet," "Rock Bottom," "Confirmation," "Cubano Chant," "Ambrosia," "Visa," "4:00 A.M.," and "Night Float."

Future performances include organist Andrea Marchal, July 27, and folksingers Oscar Brand and Joan Baez, Aug. 4. In last week's program, violinist Ruth Posselt and pianist Luise Vosgerchian presented a program of four sonatas.