Bunting Views Education

Mary I. Bunting officially Radcliffe's 82nd year in "formal" Opening Exercises yesterday before a larger-than-usual at the First Congregational . In her first address to this gathering, President declared for the changing concept for women "will have immediate significance in our colleges universities.

"the personal sacrifice of ability required of the larger of our population in order to the well being of husbands and is becoming suspect," Bunting declared that education is growing more meaningful. "To have a considerable of a talented student body. . . did not feel itself personally in the development of new was a serious waste," she .

welcoming the 1160 undergraduates and over 430 graduate students Radcliffe, President Bunting stated, "It is not in terms of narrow vocationalism that high expectations with respect with women become important . . . but as evidence of the intellectual and democratic attitudes that have been and still remain the hope of human evolution."

President Bunting confided that in the past year the college has raised over $1 million for "long range improvements in buildings and educational facilities. And she also promised that the Administration would be receptive to ideas and suggestions from the students through the recently created President's Advisory Committee.

Kathleen O. Eliot, Dean of Instruction; Wilma A. Kerby-Miller, Dean of the Graduate School; and Thankful Bailey, President of SGA, also delivered brief speeches. The ceremony was preceded by an academic procession for which, in an unexplained departure from tradition, seniors did not wear academic gowns.