Buckley to Present Victorian Literature

Eminent literary scholar Jerome H. Buckley, recently appointed professor of English, will give a full-year survey course in Victorian literature next year.

According to tentative English Department plans, Buckley, who is currently teaching at Columbia, will probably also off a graduate seminar in Wordsworth and Byron.

Buckley's new survey will fill a gap in the department's program of courses in the 19th century, one of the most popular periods among English concentrators in the College.

No one has been named yet to teach the department's course on the 19th century novel. Robert M. O'Clair '49, lecturer on English, formerly gave the course, but he is leaving the University at the end of this year.

Morton Bloomfield, an authority on medieval literature, who was also recently appointed professor of English, will offer a course in the history of the English language, and an advanced course in Old English, designed primarily for concentrators in medieval literature. Bloom-field currently teaches at Ohio State University.

Returning to the University after a year away, Monroe Engel '42 will give an upper-level course in the writing of fiction and may teach a course in the modern novel as well.

With Reuben A. Brower, professor of English, away next year on a leave of absence, and Albert J. Guerard, professor of English, leaving the University to teach at Stanford, the English department faces a major gap in the teaching of 20th century literature in 1961-62.